Thursday 21 October 2010

Morse Code I Presume

The lights flicker and I smile.  Oh the irony, watching the news about budget cuts and the lights dim slightly.  Then the whole house plunges into darkness. "Don't panic," I say to the kids, panicking.  Heading to the front door I fling it open and stare out into the darkness.  The children have come to the unanimous decision that I've lost the plot.  "It's a power cut" I declare, arm sweeping to emphasis my point. Think magician's assistant.  "See all the lights are out, even the street lights."  The children grudgingly agree that maybe I do know something about this, however they are reserving judgement for the moment. I think they are also secretly impressed by my graceful arm sweeping.  I know I am.

Back inside the house, I'm rummaging in the dark for a torch.  I'm surprised at how many things feel like a torch when you are groping blind and mildly panicking.  Torch?  No, mini fire extinguisher.  Torch?  No, washing liquid.  Torch?  No, the cat.  OK I made that last one up, but you get my point.

Then the lights come on.  We settle back down after all that excitement, laughing at our reactions to the blackout.  The lights go off again.  Why didn't I find the torch when power was restored? 

Because you don't need a torch in the light. 

Annoyed now, I'm happy to sit in the dark and wait it out, but kids aren't.  They need to know when the electricity is coming back.  One of them is worried that the sun won't come up tomorrow because of this.  I'm trying to explain that the sun isn't attached to the national grid, but if it was, boy I wouldn't want to get that electricity bill.

Then the lights come on again.

It's the worlds slowest morse code and I just hope they are not spelling out llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

1 comment:

  1. It was probably subliminal advertising, spelling out EDF. Nice arm-sweep there!

    ReplyDelete